Mid Century Veneer Repair

burn3.1

I found this Lane end table alone, abandoned in a thrift store.  Marked down to $1.00 and still nobody wanted it.  After looking it over it wasn’t hard to see why.  There was a bad burn in the top about the size of a quarter.

burn1

It was completely charred.  Crispy like so much burnt breakfast toast.  It was clear that I would be the one to rescue it from the thrift store and give it a new life.  The repair method I chose was to use a decorative walnut veneer patch.  I didn’t make any attempt to match the new veneer to the old and instead wanted the veneer patch to be obvious, similar to a dutchman joint.

burn12

Here’s the end result.  I’d say it was worth the work.  Another piece saved from the landfill.

I made a short video documenting the process.  Check it out below.  Thanks for watching!

 

 

Advertisements

Broyhill Saga Restoration Pt. 2

saga4
Saga after stripping. Note the lighter contrasting wood on the legs.

When we last left the Broyhill Saga I had just stripped off the old finish. Now the fun part begins. The challenge for this piece was to match the new finish with the original finish on the doors. I didn’t strip the doors because I was trying to preserve the vertical stripes that were painted on them.

Snapshot 2 (12-19-2015 12-14 AM)
Applying General Finishes Candlelite gel stain

I decided to use General Finishes gel stain in Candlelite for the first coat. I let that dry overnight and then applied a coat of General Finishes gel stain in Antique Walnut. The Candlelite provides a nice warm reddish tone while the Antique Walnut added a touch of deep brown to bring it closer to the finish on the doors.  The new color looked great but the original finish on the doors was still quite a bit darker. In an attempt to lighten the color of the doors I took some fine steel wool and mineral spirits and rubbed the finish.  This removed enough of the finish to lighten the color but still left the vertical stripes intact. I topped the doors off with some Candlelite gel stain to bring their tone closer to the rest of the piece.

IMG_0413
The top of the dresser after staining

Once the stain was dry it was ready for the topcoat. I topped it off with some Deft satin lacquer and called it done.  Lookin’ good!

New_1_IMG_0505.1

Thanks for following along and stay tuned for more refinishing adventures.