Broyhill Saga Restoration Pt. 2

saga4
Saga after stripping. Note the lighter contrasting wood on the legs.

When we last left the Broyhill Saga I had just stripped off the old finish. Now the fun part begins. The challenge for this piece was to match the new finish with the original finish on the doors. I didn’t strip the doors because I was trying to preserve the vertical stripes that were painted on them.

Snapshot 2 (12-19-2015 12-14 AM)
Applying General Finishes Candlelite gel stain

I decided to use General Finishes gel stain in Candlelite for the first coat. I let that dry overnight and then applied a coat of General Finishes gel stain in Antique Walnut. The Candlelite provides a nice warm reddish tone while the Antique Walnut added a touch of deep brown to bring it closer to the finish on the doors.  The new color looked great but the original finish on the doors was still quite a bit darker. In an attempt to lighten the color of the doors I took some fine steel wool and mineral spirits and rubbed the finish.  This removed enough of the finish to lighten the color but still left the vertical stripes intact. I topped the doors off with some Candlelite gel stain to bring their tone closer to the rest of the piece.

IMG_0413
The top of the dresser after staining

Once the stain was dry it was ready for the topcoat. I topped it off with some Deft satin lacquer and called it done.  Lookin’ good!

New_1_IMG_0505.1

Thanks for following along and stay tuned for more refinishing adventures.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s