Dresser In Need Pt. 3 / It’s Alive!!!

low2  New_1_New_1_res5

When we last left the Dresser In Need it was receiving some much needed veneer repair.  Much progress was made since then and it’s finally complete.  Joints were glued, wood was stained, shelf paper was removed and legs were fastened.

Let’s take a look….

low6After stripping the old finish we were left with this pale shell of its former self.

low5But after a little stain it’s coming back to life. I used Varathane American Walnut stain on this one.

bottom2bottom1Here we can see where the side panel was separating from the frame. Some new glue and a plethora of clamps and it’s back together again.

legsNext up was the legs. I’ve got a pretty sizeable stash of vintage pencil legs and attachment plates that I keep for just such an occasion. I found a set that were in great shape and just needed a few inches trimmed off and a fresh finish applied.  Now it’s ready to stand on its own four feet.

shelfI saved the best part for last – shelf paper removal. This is never a fun job. I usually attack it with a heat gun and a razor blade. If there’s any glue residue left it usually comes off with a scrubbing of mineral spirits.

New_1_New_1_res1

The finishing touch was a fresh coat of satin lacquer and voila!  Not bad considering what we started with.

Thanks for following along and stay tuned for more furniture refinishing fun!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s